Friday, March 16, 2012

Recap: Belmont Station's 15th Anniversary Celebration

On March 15th, Portland had (2) reasons to celebrate. For one, it was my Birthday, but more importantly it was Belmont Station’s 15th Year Anniversary. Belmont Station opened its doors in 1997. I don’t know the entire history behind the joint, but it was originally founded by the late, great Don Younger and Joy Campbell. I believe Joy is still involved with the Station, but I’m not entirely sure. I know Carl Signmaster, whose title is CBO (Chief Beer Officer) is entrenched with daily operations and I believe he's an owner. One day, I would love to sit down with Carl and hear how he became part of such a great place.

Belmont’s 15th Anniversary celebration began at 3pm, but that darn work thing always gets in the way, so we didn’t end up getting there until around 7. Fortunately, there were still lots of great beer to be had. Ted Sobel of Brewers Union Local 180 brought his 4% Wotcha a La Citra Bitter and a special brew for the Station’s big day named 15-15-15, aka The Ides of Belmont Station. I had the 15-15-15; a cask conditioned beer. I’m not a huge Cask fan, but I had to try a beer that incorporates 15 malts and several hops. It turned out to be a winner. It had a nice dark, rich color similar to a stout and was definitely very malty. It went down the pipes easily. The other beer that I really favored from the evening was Barley Brown’s Tank Slapper. This Double IPA kicks Pliny’s ass. ‘Nough said. Shawn Kelso of 10 Barrel (former brewmaster for Barley Brown's) arranged for the Tank Slapper and Speed Wobble to be present on this special day. My cohort and fiancée favored the India Red Ale, Speed Wobble, which I read has never made it west of Baker City.

Ben Edmunds, Breakside's Brewer, Carl Signmaster, CBO of
Belmont Station and Shawn Kelso, 10 Barrel's Brewer
The real treat of the evening was a taster that Rogue provided. Carl handed out small samples to folks in the house. It was Rogue’s Old Crustacean; a barleywine brewed in 1997, the year Belmont Station was born. It was amazing in both smell and flavor. It was fruity, slightly sour and sweet. It was a wonderful combination. I am still blown away by the fact we were sipping on something crafted 15 years ago. Thanks Rogue and Belmont Station for sharing.

Left: 1997 Rogue Old Crustacen.
Right: Barley Brown's Tank Slapper

We can’t wait to see what the Station conjures up for their Sweet Sixteen.

Cheers,
Chris

Some additional pics from the evening:
The rare bottles
Holly in the background keeping everyone's
glass full
Shawn and Carl having a great time

My cute cohort
Love this picture in the restroom!







No comments:

Post a Comment