Friday, April 27, 2012

First Sip: Gravity Mountain Release at Concordia Ale House

We went to Concordia Ale House yesterday evening for the much anticipated Gravity Mountain Collaboration IPA release. The beer was a joint effort between brewmaster-minds, Matt Swihart of Double Mountain and Terminal Gravity’s Steve Carper.


When we stepped into Concordia around 7:15 we expected a large crowd. It was bustling, but there was certainly plenty of room to navigate. Our good friends had arrived prior and thankfully snagged a table. They were drinking what we came to try and said it was impressive. We ordered up a pitcher, which lagged a little due to a keg change. My mouth was getting antsy. The pitcher finally came and we immediately filled our pint glasses. Of course I poured our beers with a giant, foamy head. “Good job” I thought to myself as the others made fun of me. Bad Chris!

Gravity Mountain’s appearance was light for an IPA and the taste was the same. I read it was supposed to be aggressively hoppy, but I didn’t experience that. My FiancĂ©e and our friends loved the Collaboration and swore they could taste both Terminal Gravity and Double Mountain in each sip. I think I was slightly disappointed, but not with the beer. I was disappointed with myself. I’ve been on a big double IPA kick for the past few months, so when I have a normal IPA my expectations are not met. I’m starting to think I have an addition. I need the “primo stuff” to get me by. That being said, if I set my IIPA concern aside, I would say Gravity Mountain was an outstanding, lighter IPA that captured the essence of two epic breweries and brewers.

The Goods


Gravity Mountain Collaboration IPA
7.2% alc by vol, 16.5 Plato, 70 BU
Brewed with Gambrinus Pilsner (Copeland variety), Marris Otter Pale, Biscuit and Munich malts
Styrian Goldings, Chinook and Brewer’s Gold hops; dry-hopped with Styrians and Brewer’s Gold Limited release, available in 12oz bottles and on draft in Oregon; draft-only in Western WA.

No comments:

Post a Comment