Wednesday, September 21, 2011

SeptemBEERfest!

I woke up Saturday morning to the sound and smell of rain and was thinking the weather was going to put a damper on this year’s Septembeerfest. Around 10 am, I packed up my truck in the wet drizzle and hit Interstate 5 southbound for Corvallis, Oregon. Fortunately, about half-way on my journey the rain ceased, but the dark, purplish-grey clouds still looked ominous. As menacing as the sky was, it never did rain at Septembeerfest. I think Mother Nature was looking out for us beer lovers.

Ominous clouds, but Mother Nature was on our side.

Septembeerfest commenced at 2 pm at The Benton County Fairgrounds and gained momentum within an hour. Soon, a line of folks were waiting to enter the festival; a welcomed site. The Brew Station school bus kept the line solid, hauling beer enthusiasts to and from downtown Corvallis. Many people opted to use pedal power and were given plenty of prime parking right beyond the entry gate. Scott Caul, the festival chair and his crew did an excellent job at providing alternative transportation options. Scott also did an outstanding job as the festival’s lead. Scott, Irene and several others were always roaming the grounds making sure everyone had what they needed.

A welcomed sight.
The Brew Station school bus got folks back and forth
from Corvallis.
Beer, bikes and pretzel necklaces.  What else do ya need!
Captain Caul did an excellent job.

I only managed to sample a few beers at Septembeerfest. I was singly manning the Eyeluvbeer mobile headquarters and could not stray far. I was in excellent proximity to Dave Wills and his Oregon Trail Brewery Covered Wagon Brew Truck. A unique, classic vehicle designed to deliver beer from its (4) built-in taps. Logsdon Organic Farmhouse Ales was also directly to the side of me. Joel Rea, owner and manager of Corvallis Brewing Supply furnished one case of Logsdon’s, Seizoen and another case of their Seizoen Bretta. The cases were kindly donated by Dave Logsdon. Both were in high demand and supplies dwindled fast. After I had a taste of both I could certainly see why. This stuff was like gold. I would not mind having a few bottles of Logsdon on hand for special occasions. Logsdon’s label, designed by Seaberg Einarsson was top notch as well. The only other beer I sampled at Septmebeerfest was Ninkasi’s Fresh-Hopped Tricerahops, which had a nice aroma to it as do most fresh-hopped beers. The brewery that I heard the most hype about at the event was Corvallis’s own Flat Tail Brewery. A brewery that I went to around 10:30pm post festival, but realized I better not go in or I would never leave Corvallis. I ended up heading east back to the 5 and north to Portland. Another visit will ensue.

Dave Wills and Co. setting up their famed covered
wagon brew truck.
Logsdon's label.  Designed by Seaberg Einarsson.
So nice!
To conclude, Septembeerfest was great and is only getting better. Granted, this was only my second year, but the event appeared to be more organized and had an improved layout. The increase in attendance also boosted everyone’s spirits, as this was a benefit for the Linn Benton Food Share and OSU Fermentation Science Students.
Don't be fooled by their cute faces...these guys knew their sh*t!
Rockin' into the night.  38 Special would be proud! 
Cheers to Eyeluvbeer!
The official drink token provided by Brew Toppers.
Pretty sweet!
Brew Toppers HQ was right next to Flat Tail in downtown
Corvallis. Must be love!

2 comments:

  1. Great post - and so true!
    And thanks for the compliment.
    C+B
    (with the cute faces ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiger! I love that pic and your shirts!

    ReplyDelete