Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dinining Out For Life, Blazers and Pasties at Saraveza

Thursday evening we hit Saraveza to watch the Blazers game, drink some amazing beers and support a great cause, Dining Out For Life.  Sara and crew were donating a generous portion of their dinner hour sales to Portland’s HIV Day Center, OHSU Partnership Project and Dining Out For Life.  Even better, in Saraveza’s back room, Double Mountain, Firestone Walker and Nectar Ales generously donated kegs for the evening.  The back room was hosting a 6-10pm happy hour which was sweet!  I would have paid full price though, because 100% of Double Mountain, Firestone Walker and Nectar Ales proceeds went back to the fundraiser .


We showed up at Saraveza around 6pm and met our good friend Mark who was already sitting at a table sipping a pint of Terminal Gravity Double IPA.  This was the first time the three of us had seen this beer on tap.  I thought it looked nice in the glass, but after a taste I was not moved by it.  I think Mark felt the same, because when he finished what was left he went for a pint of Amnesia’s Trail Hazer.  Actually, that is what we all ordered.  Trail Hazer came out around the winter holidays.  I believe it was supposed to be a seasonal release, but it was so popular, Amnesia decided to keep it on tap.  However, it is still not listed on their main menu board. Hopefully, with the end of the Blazers season, they will not decide to remove Trail Hazer for the season as well.  Trail Hazer is an amazing, very drinkable year round beer.

When our server came around again, we all put in an order for ‘The Potater’ pasty and grabbed a tavern treat; house baked Chex Mix.  The Chex Mix came first.  It was standard Chex Mix with flair.  It had some mixed nuts and some spice added.  It paired well with our beers.  The pasties showed up and looked delicious, and delicious they were.  My friend Mark commented that they looked like a calzone, which they did.  I was not sure on the origin of the pasty so I looked it up today.  I read that the exact origin is unclear, but it has a strong association with Cornwall.  I guess in Cornwall during the 17th and 18th centuries, tin miners and other workers adopted it due to its unique shape, forming a complete meal that can be carried easily and eaten without cutlery.  So there you go.  If you happen to see pasties on a menu, do not expect a pair of breasts with the areola and nipple covered.

Tasty Pasty!


Tasty Pasty?
We spent the 1st half of the Blazers game in the front portion of Saraveza. The TV sound was muted.  This was somewhat disappointing, but I guess we were not at a sports bar.  People were still cheering on the Blazers though.  I would say about 75% of the people at Saraveza were watching the game.  I think some of the non-interested parties were startled when excited fans, including ourselves, would shout out a YEAH or an AH.  My beer goddess has severe sports turrets.  It is highly entertaining!  However, I almost lost my hearing in my right ear one time while watching a football game with her.

For the 2nd half of the game we went to the back room.  This meant going outside and walking down the sidewalk to gain access.  A little awkward, but it was nice to take in a breath of fresh air. My buddy Mark had left us at this point.  He went to grab his squeeze at the airport.  We wish Mark would have stayed.  He was a valuable part of our Blazers cheerleading squad.  Mark and his honey caught the remainder of the game at their neighborhood haunt, Breakside Brewery.  Oh, and I forgot to point out that the sound was pumping in  Saraveza's back room.  Sweet!

Wallace, Aldridge and Matthews checking out their fans at Saraveza




Come to my mouth

As you know, the Blazers did not pull off the win Thursday night.  I thought for sure they were going to do it.   It was disappointing, but I believe we will have an even stronger team next season. The big winner of the evening was The Dining Out For Life fundraiser!  A well deserved win!



No comments:

Post a Comment